Boating at Thekkady Periyar Tiger Reserve has been opened to the public as well as Tourist from other states from 01 Sept 2020 after the long lockdown post-COVID 19.
What you may see in Thekkady Boating?
The first and foremost activity of a tourist in Thekkady is Boating in the Lake around wildlife sanctuary. One can see the wild animals along the sides of the lake. KTDC and Forest Departments are operating the Boat Services around the lake and there are daily 5 Trips and each trip is of two hours around the lake.
The reserve covers 777 Sq. Km of area and is made up of diverse habitat which includes mainly tropical evergreen, semi-evergreen forest and moist deciduous forest, grasslands and eucalyptus. The Periyar Wild Life Sanctuary was declared a Tiger Reserve in 1978. Attracted by its geomorphology, diversity of wildlife and scenic beauty, visitors come from all over the world. The major tourist attraction of Thekkady Wildlife sanctuary, are the herds of wild elephants and baby elephants that come down to play in the lake. This is a unique sanctuary in India where one can have an unforgettable and close experience with wildlife from the safety of the boat. There are about 2000 species of flowering plants, 145 varieties of Orchids, 35 species of mammals, namely elephants, Gaur (Indian Bison), Leopard, Tiger, Barking Deer, Bear, Nilgiri Langur and the highly endangered monkey Lion-tailed Macaque.
The diverse collection of 45 reptiles species which includes the famous King Cobra, Russels, Viper, Freshwater Tortoise. Also, 27 Amphibians has been recorded. Periyar is also a rich habitat for Birds. More than 320 species of birds have been identified namely, the Malabar Parakeet, Waynad Laughing Thrush, Rufous Babbler and the endangered Great Malabar Hornbill, the state bird of Kerala.
Boating in Thekkady – Timing
The new timing of the boating in Thekkady is as follows:
7.30 A.M. to 9 A.M.
9.30 A.M. to 11 A.M.
11.15 A.M. to 12.45 P.M.
1.45 P.M. to 3.15 P.M.
3.30 P.M. to 5 P.M.
Boating in Thekkady – Ticket Cost for Indian & Foreign Adults and Children
|Item||Rate in Indian Rupees|
|Indians – Entry Fee||500|
|Foreigners – Entry Fee||500|
|Indian Student – Entry Fee||0|
|Foreign Student – Entry Fee||0|
|Boating – Adults||255|
|Boating – Children||85|
If you are lucky you may see animals like bison, Gaur, Wild Elephants, Sambhar and a wide variety of birds. Wildlife sighting is a chance, be patient and silent during the boat cruise.
Do note that there is an option to do online booking of Thekkady Boat Tickets at http://ktdc-boating.com/ as well. Kindly note there is no option to book/check availability over the phone as well with anyone in Thekkady and you can book tickets from the counter in Thekkady. However, when you are doing online booking it is permitted only for 30 days from the date of booking.
Boating in Thekkady – Instructions for Guests
1) Guest must produce the Unique Identification number along with the original id proof at check post for verification and issue of entrance ticket.
2) Entrance ticket issued from check post is required to avail boat boarding pass and any other Eco-tourism programs.
3) Guest shall report at the Entrance Check post at least one hour prior to boating time and at least half an hour prior to the boating time at the special online counter at Boat landing.
4) It is mandatory to wear life jackets while boating
5) E-Ticket will be sent to given email id if you are booking online ticket
6) Any person while inside Periyar Tiger Reserve, leaving litters; smoking & consuming alcohol in public; illegally entering forests; speeding vehicles; blowing horns; playing music systems; parking vehicles outside the parking zone; feeding, teasing, disturbing wild animals; keeping pet animals; unauthorised trekking and picnicking; keeping firearms, wildlife traps, poisonous or other substances injurious to wildlife; causing fire in Periyar Tiger Reserve, breaching the lawful directions of the park staff on duty will be fined suitably and/or penalised as per the provisions of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 or as deemed fit.
Periyar Tiger Reserve, set in the mountains district of Idukki, is India’s finest and most picturesque wildlife reserve.