Athirappilly waterfalls, otherwise known as Athirappally waterfalls which is one of the famous waterfalls in Kerala is located 55 km northeast of Cochin International Airport. The waterfalls is situated 1000 ft above sea level on the Chalakudy river. Athirappilly is a scenic combination of forests and little streams because it starts from the entrance to the Sholayar ranges of the Western Ghats.
The water of Athirappally is falling from a height of 80 feet which gives the traveler an amazing experience. Considered as one of the largest waterfalls in the state, it has many endangered and endemic species of flora and fauna.
Athirappilly is also the perfect place for bird watchers across the world. The only place in the Western Ghats where four endangered hornbill species are seen is in Athirappally. Lots of bird watching group used to visit Athirappilly every year. The Western Ghats is one of the most important biodiversity hot spots in the world.
Near to Athirappilly waterfalls which is 12 km from Athirappally there is one more waterfall which is known as Vazhachal waterfalls. Most of the guests won’t visit Vazhachal because Athirapilly is more beautiful. But people who are crazy about water activities will visit both the places.
Activities in Athirappilly
- Enjoying the waterfalls from the top.
- Enjoying the waterfalls from the bottom which most of you might have seen in Raavan movie.
- Jungle Safari from Chalakudy to Malakkappara. – This jungle safari is the most memorable experience. The trip includes wildlife watching, and experience the rich flora & fauna of Athirapally
- Vazhachal Ecotourism through the evergreen forest of Sholayar ranges and is about 90 km across the rain forests.
- Dreamworld Water Park in Athirapally.
Nearby Places in Athirappally
- Chimmony Wildlife Sanctuary in Athirappilly- 47 km from Athirppally.
- Kodanad Elephant Training Camp – 43 km from Athirappilly.
- Guruvayoor – 80 Km from Athirappilly.
- Punnathoor Fort – elephant orphanage located near to Guruvayoor temple and 82 km from Athirappilly
- Kochi – The commercial capital of Kerala which is 70 km from Athirappilly
Voyages Kerala offers customized tour packages to Athirappilly from Cochin (Kochi), Guruvayoor, and Trissur.
Other useful links: Kerala Tourism | Kerala Tour Packages | Kerala Honeymoon Tours | Car Rental in Kochi |
Car Rental in Kannur | Wayanad Tour Packages | Trivandrum Car Rentals | India Tour Packages